- 4-inch pie shells
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or red onion (about 1/3 onion)
- 3 to 4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sliced basil (see recipe note**)
- 2 cups (8 oz. /225 g.) grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup Original Bubi’s Sauce®, or Spicy Bubi’s Sauce® and eliminate the hot sauce
- 1 tsp. (or more to taste) Frank’s Hot Sauce or Tabasco
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-bake the crust: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). For store-bought pie shell, follow directions on package, until lightly browned. For homemade crust, use any regular pie crust recipe
- Lightly salt the chopped tomatoes and set them in a colander over a bowl to drain while you are pre-baking the crust. Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.
- Layer pre-baked pie shell with onions, tomatoes, basil: Sprinkle a layer of chopped onion over the bottom of your pre-baked pie crust shell. Spread the drained chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.
- Make cheez mixture, spread over tomatoes: In a medium bowl, mix- together the grated cheese, Original Bubi’s Sauce®, Tabasco, a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snowball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
- Bake: Place in oven and bake at 350°F (175°C) until browned and bubbly, anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes
If you want to take this recipe up a notch, you can caramelize the onions while prepping the other ingredients. If you do that, double the amount of onion.
**This recipe calls for slicing fresh basil using a technique called chiffonade. To do this, stack the basil leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the “cigar” crosswise in thin slices.